Does Your Teenager Need Physio?
By Majda Mehdizadeh
Physiotherapist at Life Ready Physio + Pilates South Perth
The life of a teenager can be very active (or very inactive!). As a result, their bodies undergo stresses that may not only result in pain and injury, but can also affect their musculoskeletal development in the future.
What causes pain and injuries in teens?
- Immature skeleton which is still growing and more susceptible to injuries such as bone fractures
- Joint hypermobility where joints are too flexible and therefore not stable enough
- Lack of flexibility which can cause muscle tears and affect biomechanics
- Poor biomechanics especially around the hip, knee and shoulder joints
- Overload usually from training too much
- Too much screen time and inactivity
- Lack of strength and length in muscles
- Direct impact during sport
What are the most common injuries in teens?
- Fractures, contusions and concussions from direct impacts in sport
- Back and neck pain from technology overuse
- Developmental disorders around the hip, knee and ankle
- Overuse injuries
- Posture-related pain often due to device use
Physio For Teens. How Can it Help?
It’s important to understand the differences between adult and teenage bodies. That’s where our highly skilled and trained physiotherapists come in! They are able to assess an injury and keep in mind the stage of development the teenage-aged body is at. Physios also know when a scan is necessary as teenagers are more susceptible to bone fractures and overuse injuries, especially in the sporting population.
On the flip side of the coin, is the amount of time that teenagers spend on electronic devices like mobiles, laptops and tablets. The postural changes this causes often results in neck and back pain.
Physiotherapists can help teens by:
- Diagnosing an injury or cause of pain
- Providing a referral for scans, if necessary
- Creating an individualised sport/activity-specific rehabilitation program for treatment and prevention of the injury or pain
- Working with teachers and coaching staff to optimise performance and prevent future injuries
If you or your teen has been injured on the sporting field or is suffering from any type of pain, call us to make a physio appointment.
We can’t help with the teen attitude unfortunately. Sorry!