Neck pain is common and debilitating for those aged 45-65 due to factors like lifestyle, posture, and ageing. In this blog post, we will delve into some of the prevalent causes of neck pain and ways to start addressing your pain.
Common causes of neck pain in adults aged 45-65:
- Poor Posture: Many adults spend hours hunched over computers or mobile devices, leading to strain on the neck and upper back muscles.
- Age-Related Changes: As we grow older, the neck experiences age-related changes This can include conditions like arthritis, which result in changes to the cartilage, which can cause neck pain.
- Overuse and Stress: Physically active individuals aged 45-65 can often experience neck pain through overuse of muscles, repetitive motions, and stress.
- Muscle Imbalances: Weak or imbalanced neck and shoulder muscles can put undue stress on the neck, causing discomfort and pain..
- Trauma: Neck pain may develop from accidents, falls, or injuries, especially when not promptly treated
Addressing your neck pain:
- Physiotherapy: Skilled physiotherapists can assess your condition, create a customised treatment plan, and employ various techniques, such as manual therapy, exercise, and postural education, to help alleviate pain and restore mobility.
- Exercises: Physiotherapists often prescribe specific neck and shoulder exercises to help strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and enhance posture. These exercises can help prevent further episodes of neck pain.
- Manual Therapy: Hands-on techniques, such as joint mobilisation and soft tissue massage, are used by physiotherapists to help alleviate pain and improve neck mobility.
- Postural Education: Learning proper ergonomics and posture can be beneficial in preventing recurring neck pain. A physiotherapist can educate you on how to sit, stand, and work in a way that minimises strain on your neck.
- Pain Management: Physiotherapists may also employ modalities like heat or cold therapy to help manage pain and reduce inflammation.
At Life Ready Physio + Pilates Camberwell, our dedicated physiotherapists are highly experienced in addressing neck pain among individuals aged 45-65. Our tailored and personalised approach ensures you receive the comprehensive care you deserve with individualised treatment plans tailored to your personal health and wellbeing goals and needs.
Book an appointment and start your journey towards addressing neck pain.