Physiotherapy. What’s it all about?
By Majda Mehdizadeh
Physiotherapist at Life Ready Physio South Perth
A large number of clients that come through our clinics, whether by referral from a doctor or a friend, aren’t 100% sure what they’re doing there or may not be aware of what physiotherapy can do for them. They often say, “I wasn’t sure if I should see a physio or the doctor” or ask “how are you going to help me with my problem?”
What you need to know about physiotherapists
- All physiotherapists want to help people lead pain-free independent lives
- We will give you homework to do (but we call it a “home exercise program”). Don’t be afraid of it!
- We know the body works so we can help diagnose and treat your musculoskeletal injury and pain
- We know our limitations, so we are always happy to work with other health professionals to help you achieve your goals (no matter how big or small)
- Our treatment isn’t always comfortable (but it’s always done out of a whole lotta love)
What do physiotherapists treat?
Physiotherapists are highly trained health professionals with the ability to treat many injuries and conditions. In private practice however, physios will treat all musculoskeletal conditions/injuries/pains and a few non-musculoskeletal conditions as well.
We can help with any of the following:
- Back pain (neck, mid back and lower back)
- Sporting injuries (knees, shoulders, ankles)
- Joint and muscle sprains and strains
- Pre and post-surgery rehabilitation
- Pre and post-natal exercise
- Post-stroke rehabilitation
What to expect from an appointment with a Life Ready physiotherapist
- A subjective assessment – your physiotherapist will ask you about your injury and pain
- An objective/physical assessment – they will perform testing based on the subjective assessment to help confirm a diagnosis
- A formulated treatment plan to help you manage your injury
- Treatment of your injury – manual therapy and exercise rehabilitation are usually the mainstays of your physiotherapy treatment
See? Physiotherapy is nothing to be afraid. We’re here to help, and we love doing it. Book in to see your nearest Life Ready physiotherapist today and let us help you on your path to living pain-free!